Thursday, 12 September 2013

Devoré workshop with Dionne Swift

Went to a great workshop last weekend, organised by my Branch of the Embroiderers' Guild. We were learning the basics of Devoré from Dionne Swift, who is well-known for her work in this medium. I choose to concentrate on sampling rather than making a scarf and produced the following samples using devoré velvet, georgette and satin. (In case you are wondering, I taped these to the window to photograph and the shapes in the background are trees in my garden).

Our first sample was a positive and negative design onto velvet using a silk screen with a paper mask. I did some buildings and added a bit of rain with a Thermofax screen.


Then we had a choice between making a scarf and trying other fabrics. My second sample used a piece of devoré satin and the design combines a masking tape mask with a different Thermofax.


Finally, while I still had masking tape on the silk screen I made a third sample with devoré georgette.


I also have a piece of Hazelwood still to use. This is a viscose and polyester fabric, while the others are all viscose and silk.

The best bit was washing the fabric, after ironing it, and revealing the design.


No comments:

Post a Comment