I made an entry for a quilt exhibition which was held at Bletchley Park in February and here it is:
It is called 'Enigma Exploded' and is, of course, based on parts of an Enigma encryption machine (keys from the keyboard, plugs from the plugboard, wheels). The circles in the background relate to the Bombes used to help decrypt messages and the quilted letters to the messages themselves.A few technical details:
* It was made in five pieces, so as to be easier to quilt.
* The circles were stencilled using freezer paper and acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium. All the other colours were home-dyed using fibre reactive dyes.
* The Enigma parts were bonded on and then satin stitched round the edge. The panels were then quilted with letter shapes. The 'keys' and plug ends were made separately and stitched on after quilting.
It was entered into the 'Secret Messages' competition, and I went down on the last day of the exhibition to see it on display and to collect it at the end. It was great to see it on display and I am now thinking about submitting it to FoQ.
I am now finishing off some of my sample pieces as Journal Quilts, and will show these once they are finished. So hopefully it won't be another six months until the next post!
Hi Karen, I think these are beautiful! Well done! Great colours and tones. Good to see you are enjoying the quilting, it really suits you. Paula
ReplyDeleteStunning design - very simple and graphic. I read about this exhibition. Glad you are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen
ReplyDeleteI really like your quilted pieces. They are super! I do hope you get them into the FOQ - I for one will certainly be on the lookout for them.
Cheers Ann