September - I made a print block based on a section of my source photograph and printed it in different colours of acrylic paint onto red, green and blue fabric. Here is the block with some of the pieces I printed.

For September I cut up and pieced together several of these to make a 10"x7" piece and hand-quilted in two of the vertical strips, leaving the others unstitched. The red colour is picked up in some of the stitching.


October - I had been thinking about doing a more densely stitched piece, so this takes a small section which I have completely machine-stitched in various shades of blue viscose on a plain blue background. I even did mitred corners on the binding.


November - October's JQ led to another densely stitched piece, this time with the intention on painting after quilting to highlight the raised areas. Clearly this technique needs a bit of practice to work out how each area will appear if there is a pattern in the stitching, but I was quite pleased with the result.


December - Not much time available, so I used some of the printed pieces from September and combined them with plain dark blue pieces. The machine quilting then draws in the shapes from the photograph, linking together the three strips.


I am now waiting to see what size (and orientation) will be set by the Contemporary Quilt Group for 2011. I have already decided on a theme for all my work next year.
Oh, yes... and Happy New Year everyone!
Happy New Year Karen. I think the last of your panels are really great and each one is very effective in its own right. That has been a really interesting challenge. Well Done. I look forward to seeing what you create from the 2011 challenge!
ReplyDeleteOct and November samples particularly fascinating. Hope you have a happy New Year Karen.
ReplyDelete